Thursday, May 2, 2013

art for artsake.




Art. for most of my life it art has meant mirrors or black and white photography. Indecisive much?

Early on I was inspired by my friend with the coolest large scale black and white poster. It was mounted on some sort of foam core so she just leaned it against the wall. All torn and loved. In my memory, it was James Dean, but could have been any number of handsome movie stars. If I was a better person I would pause and ask her who it was but that's never going to happen. I obsessed on that poster. I even got my own version. A giant black and white poster of some city, some where. It went from home to home. 4'x6'. Big. Super big.

Eventually, I layered in some photographs and some curiosities. My favorite being the tiny sombrero I "borrowed" from another friend. Or maybe the HORRIBLE marionette of Darth Vador we "won" from another friend.

Sombrero



my pal Darth


 My point being, i am not the best, or most trustworthy, at selecting art. This matters since we are renting and can't paint the nursery. I became obsessed with adding color and fun without paint? Could do curtains. Could do a super fabric-y crib (not. going. to. happen) Instead, art wall. Seemed to be the sensible solution.

Inspiration:
photo16
from here
Love the baby animals. But really want something bright and bold.

BROOKE-HOLM-photo
from here


Love the energy. The bright colors are very engaging but it is not quite calling out to a baby's room.

from here

The branch is so great. This whole room is awesome fun. (there is a teepee!)
But I am loving the mixed media aspect. The birds and branch instead of a mobile. Crazy good.

Finally I found this one:
from here
 Super love the mounted heads. Found a one from west elm that is so cute. HIPPO!
west elm

So inspiration took me to etsy for inexpensive art. There is a lot of art. I mean A LOT OF ART. I fell down the rabbit hole for a couple of days. But when I crawled out we have the makings of a great art wall. 

Here are a couple examples. 
    Bird Art Print, Bird Brain, Little Birdie With Glasses and Bowtie, Digitally Colored, 8x10 Children Giclee Art Print  The Barnacle Whale Archival Pigment Print Giclee 7x9 inches SIGNED
here, here & here

 


















So far, art is hard. But we are getting there. And Etsy is the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment