Wednesday, October 24, 2012

island time.

A new home means new struggles in design.  Add in the fact that we are renting and can't actually renovate the kitchen and this girl is gearing up for a battle. Our new place is a perfectly precious 1920's apartment in New Orleans.  The kitchen is actually a great size but in no way functional. The stove, next to the pantry, has no counter adjacent- where to put your ingredients?- and there is only one 3-foot long counter for prep.

So I was thinking we could add a free standing island. Perhaps with wheels to roll out of the way. Could be a prep area or a breakfast bar, plus it would add in storage.  Should it be IKEA to the rescue? Lowes? Target? or something custom?

Here are some ideas that I have been obsessing on:
CONTEMPORIST
inspirational green
I love the stools at the end.  Traditional design would have them on the side, right in the flow of traffic. But these smart people saved the sides for function, and food prep, and put eating at the end. (In other news, lets talk about the windows- awesome).


Hansen Kitchen
I am diggin' this little guy. Why? Well, THIS IS A WHOLE KITCHEN! Just plug in water, electricity and gas. So functional, while being sexy, and so European. Of course after thinking this through I would need about 10 of them in order to store ALL MY THINGS. Or we could downsize. (just jokes, I mean really. ) But the concept is solid and the design is beautiful. So there's that.

http://www.myhomerocks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/1b-chic-industrial-kitchen-island-parquet-flooring-arch-window-glass-door.jpg
industrial kitchen

Do we even need to discuss the amount of cleaning that comes with this guy? You CAN NOT have children, or dogs, or children. But, my is it pretty. The mirror looks antiqued and the simple faucet is stunning. Of course, I love the parquet floor- if you are going to have mirrors it must reflect something worth looking at twice.  So to sum up:  IRL- no;  IMD (in my dreams)- y.e.s.



greigedesign.blogspot.com

I was thinking something like this would be good. Simple table with metal top would allow prep and a casual stool for a pal to sit and drink a glass of wine. (minus the sink, of course)

I like this guy's industrial feel.
Rolling Console Cart | Console Tables & Buffets
http://www.wisteria.com
 I might want to add one additional shelf for storage but the rest is perfect.


speaking of industrial...
Industrial Rolling Console Table eclectic kitchen islands and kitchen carts
zin home

Love the wheels. Love the storage. So chic and functional. I'll take one, please.

One more cute little guy:
Rolling side tables
urban outfitters
 I would like two of these. They are small but would add character and function.


But here is where my heart really lies. Reclaimed barn wood, the deepest of caramel, finished to highlight the all the dings and knots. I am obsessed with the carts they put under the counter- the addition of a modern, chrome bakers rack is perfect against the ruggedness of the wood. Personally, I would have gone with a square or rectangle for the sink- kinda hate the round- and canceled the glass top range. But overall I can't love it more.
salvaged kitchen island
reuse kitchen

A quick stop at the local architectural recycling and this could be mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment