Monday, October 22, 2012

I Confess

I own 9 winter coats. If I lived in the north, or any sort of frozen tundra, that would maybe make sense (maybe? I don't know normal). But the thing is, I don't live in a cold climate. I live in New Orleans. On the coldest day of the year the temperature gauge in my car says 30 degrees (and a little snowflake appears, which is one of my favorite things in the whole world). We can agree 30 degrees is below freezing. But it hits that particular low about 4 days a year. And note my use of the word "low". Because it never really stays that cold. By 2:00pm it's usually at least 40. And so it may be that I don't need 9 winter coats. And more to the point, I probably don't need 6 of those coats to be in the ivory/beige/taupe family. And just to hit the final nail in the coffin, I just bought a 10th coat (7th in the ivory/beige/taupe family).



I know I must not be alone in thinking that there is no more chic garment on earth than a winter coat. No other single item in your wardrobe can make you look so perfect as your winter coat. If all I had to wear every day was a coat/tight/heel combo I would never be schlumpy again. Some people buy the same thing over and over because they're looking for that perfect one, hoping that a single purchase will bring them all that is good in the world. Others buy things at random as needed, not realizing they have a similar item at home. Well not me. I love all my coats. I believe each one has special place in my wardrobe: Lady coat. Mardi Gras. Chic shopper. Heading to yoga. Extra cold day. I love them all and relish each opportunity to wear them. 



So, with all of that in mind, some favorites...

From the archives:


Perfect simplicity and effortlessness. Audrey Hepburn 1968


Not simple or effortless, but still perfection. Dior 1950

Why did (stylish) women ever stop wearing head scarves like this? Henrietta Tiarks, Duchess of Bedford


Henrietta Joan (née Tiarks), Duchess of Bedford
Henrietta Tiarks


I could look at archive photos endlessly, but it's time to move onto shoppable options:




An amazing cold weather trench from Burberry (they really do have the best coats on Earth)

My newest purchase. Gwyneth made me do it. 

In truth I can't see myself wearing this Isabel Marant. But in another life (ugh Katie Perry why did you ruin that?) I think I'd wear the hell out of it.



I want! It's a coat AND a robe. What could be cozier?

Pinned Image
WHIT

Is this the best evening coat ever? Couldn't be more classic or modern with a great dull gold sheen. 



And now for the best evening jacketThe overall toughness is a great contrast to cocktail attire, while the cropped length ends at your natural waist- just what you want with a dress. And that olive color looks amazing with 98% of all outfits. 

Pinned Image
Helston

Last February I visited Chicago and was desperately sad not to have a puffy jacket. (You would have been amazed to see my borrowed ensemble. I looked like the housekeeper in Goonies). When I got back I found this one and I could not love it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment